First Fruits



I harvested my first batch of produce from the veggie garden on Saturday.  



This year was my first attempt to grow green beans, and it looks as though the three rows that I planted will be providing us with tasty side dishes for some time.  I can't believe how quickly the beans ripened, and how many beans these relatively small plants have growing on them!  It's a good thing, too, because green beans are one of my husband's favorite foods.



After I picked this bowl, my neighbor walked over, bearing gifts of sunflowers and a tomato from her garden.  She also gave me a bag full of squash -- one of my favorite side dish ingredients -- the other day.  I haven't planted squash yet this year, as part of my effort to thwart the nasty squash bug.  So, the green beans went to her table tonight, and her sunflowers decorated mine.  We'll have plenty of beans over the next few weeks anyway.   That's truly one of my favorite aspects of gardening.  It provides us with the opportunity to share with others.


0 comments: