Welcome, My Lovely White Flowers!





Perhaps my favorite part of spring is watching plants appear to "come back to life" and burst into bloom.  Azaleas are one of the earliest and showiest harbingers of the flower season here on my little plot of land. 


My white azaleas just opened fully a few days ago.  I recently discovered that I have a "thing" for white flowers surrounded by green foliage.  Nearly all of my azalea bushes are white -- my first choice, which I did not even have to make because the bushes were already planted here when we bought the house!  (I do have a few azalea bushess in the dark fuschia and I've added a few of the dwarf variety in light pink.)  I also love the white blooms on ligustrum this time of year. Can't wait for the gardenias to follow up with their fragrant white blossoms later this summer!

2 comments:

Desperate Gardener said...

Beautiful photo! I love white flowers. I know nothing about growing flowers or regular plants and just bought a gardenia plant. It already has little bugs on it, any tips on how to get rid of those?

Sprigs and Roots said...

Hey! Glad to hear you bought a gardenia -- in my opinion they are the most exquisite of the white flowers. My gardenias had thrips shortly after I bought them, and the thrips affected the leaves and blooms. You may want to look thrips up on the web to see if that is the pest bothering your flowers. If so, an organic mixture of water, Ivory dishsoap, cayenne pepper, and garlic (sprayed gently on the leaves) worked wonders for mine. I also changed out the mulch next to them, in case there was any sort of infestation in there. I haven't had a problem since. Good luck!!!