Back from Zone 3!


I'm back from my sojourn into Zone 3... I traveled to Minnesota over the Easter holiday to spend some time with family.  On my last day there, the weather gave me a white, fluffy send-off... a fresh blanket of snow!  This photo also showcases some of the pine trees of the area, including the red (Norway) pine, Minnesota's state tree, in the upper left corner.  Pines remain one of my favorite trees, in part because I feel these particular large, sturdy, enduring Norway pines practically watched me grow up!

Gardening in this northern area poses such a tremendous challenge.  Of course, great challenges do yield great rewards, and gardeners in zone 3 persevere to put their green thumbs to work in this harsh environment.  They produce a surprising variety of vegetables and nurture several types of decorative perennials.  Later this season, I will feature my father's almost-famous "pump-zini" hybrids and other delicacies from his Zone 3 garden.

After my return to Zone 7, I replanted my vegetable garden beds to remedy the damage from the storms a couple of weeks ago, and I added 11 tomato plants, purchased from a locally owned nursery.  I'll post information soon regarding my choice(s) in tomato variety.   My priority this year is growing tomatoes for canning.

Lastly, I noticed that, in my absence, the weather here provided excellent growing conditions... and the weeds took full advantage!  I'll be spending the next few days trying to uncover my butterfly bushes (planted and cut back last year), and determine what should replace last year's annuals in the more shady, now-weed-covered area of the flower bed.  (I keep gravitating toward creeping phlox... I'm fighting it but it's likely I'll give in...) Stay tuned! 

0 comments: