Update: The Nest is Occupied!

Just a quick update on the nest underneath the mailbox:  It appears that we have tenants!  When I walked to the mailbox yesterday, an Eastern bluebird flew out of the nest, right past me.  It appears s/he was as startled as I was!  

I am excited about the possibility of baby bluebirds, and hopeful that their nest is successful, at least for this cycle.  Thankfully, we don't have a newspaper delivered to our home, so the birds will have the space to themselves.  However, that doesn't mean that they aren't incredibly vulnerable in their chosen location.  In truth, I'm a little worried, now that I know that they are trying to remain in this nest.  I need to look into installing a couple of bluebird nesting boxes, to give them an alternative to their current roadside hotel.  Bluebirds are endangered, and their nests, which they prefer to build in open, non-forested areas, are prime targets for predators.

Next blog update:  Pictures from the Got To Be NC Agricultural Festival!  The mister of the house and I visited the festival last Sunday at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds.  I took several pictures and I'll soon post an entry detailing the demonstrations we watched and the excellent NC-grown food we sampled.
 

Eastern Bluebird
Courtesy of http://www.animal.discovery.com/


1 comments:

Desperate Gardener said...

What a beautiful bird! Looking forward to updates as the nest grows.