Garden Helpers


Although I usually prefer writing about my observations in the garden and the yard, I felt it was time to get a little more personal, and introduce you to my garden "helpers."  Well, in their own minds, they are helpful -- to me, they are good companions that I usually need to work around while they are outside, but who always make me laugh.  The time we spend outdoors together can often be the highlight of my day.



Tucker

Tucker is our 2-year-old cattle dog/ husky mix (we think), and he is the more dedicated "gardener" of the two.  He is an observant companion who will happily dig additional holes near any place I've been working.  Once, a day after I planted two gardenia bushes, he did me the "favor" of moving my potted herbs (growing in small temporary pots on the front porch) to a hole he dug right behind the new gardenias.  He lost the parsley along the way, but was otherwise incredibly proud of his efforts.  Who can punish a dog who so badly wants to help?  He has an innate guard-dog mentality, and alerts us to the presence of any stray turtle, snake, rabbit, or squirrel that may (God help it) enter our yard.  He loves to sit on the porch, preferably in the shade, guarding his domain, but he is nothing but a one-dog wriggling, kissing, welcoming committee to any person who visits our home.  His favorite activities are eating, watching TV, and observing the birdfeeder from our kitchen window (he is strangely protective over the birds -- he only chases squirrels from it). 



Meadow

Meadow is a 3-year-old Welsh Corgi/ Jack Russell (to the best of our knowledge), and she basically runs the show around here.  Tucker may do the digging, but she supervises his every move.  No mole or wayward lizard in the yard escapes her notice; she roams the yard with her little terrier nose searching for any new disturbance.  If she detects something worth investigating, she sends the signal -- and that's when Tucker comes running, her personal four-pawed wrecking crew, and they get to work.  She also does a rather good job manipulating her people into doing what she pleases.  When not scheming to control our lives, and Tucker's, she enjoys going for car rides or lounging (kiddie) pool-side.  She is also a strong, smart little dog -- she can jump to a level several times her own height, and she knows that if she can just get that door handle to turn once she jumps up to that level, she can control her own destiny... 

Playing outside in 2009 (Tucker was a puppy)

Dedicated gardeners know that dogs can be destructive, and sometimes they frown upon the impact a dog can have in a gardening home.  It's true that both of my dogs are confined by an electric fence to areas of the yard that do not include my vegetable or flower garden.   However, it does help that, although I am trying to cultivate several different types of plants (flowers, shrubs, vegetables), I don't care as much about the "grass" part of the lawn.  It's a good thing, too, because, due to several mole-hunting incidents, our turf's landscape has changed over the last couple of years.  And, it has taken some convincing to get the dogs to realize that the hose and sprinkler are used for something besides their personal enjoyment.  I realize that not only do my dogs keep me company while I'm outside -- they keep me entertained, and they do mean well in their role as protectors and "helpers", misguided as their actions may be.  I couldn't imagine our home or our yard now without their presence.  They may re-appear in this blog from time to time, as they inevitably generate stories with their antics.

Now, if you'll please excuse me as I conclude this blog post -- Meadow is trying to get my attention.  I think I need to go fill up the kiddie pool for her again.

1 comments:

Your Gardening Friend (Holly) said...

Being a "mother" myself of 3 canine "children", I so appreciate this post.

Both dogs sound endearing, but I have to say, reading about Tucker made me laugh out loud. :)